2 km W of Toowoomba
Newtown is an inner suburb located directly west of the city centre. At the 2011 Australian Census, the suburb recorded a population of 9,565. The eastern end of the Gore Highway starts at an intersection with the Warrego Highway in Newtown.
The area was the first outside the city centre to be subdivided for residential purposes, in 1865. From 1913 to 1917, Newtown had its own local government, the Town of Newtown. It was officially named and bounded in 1981.
Newtown has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- 24 Anzac Avenue: Elphin, Newtown
- 7 Warra Street & 30 Rome Street: Oak Lodge and Spreydon
The suburb contains the following schools:
- Newtown State School (1924)
- Toowoomba West Special School (1975)
- Clifford Park Special School (1990)
- Pure Land Learning College (Buddhist, 2001)
- Our Lady of Lourdes Primary School (Catholic primary, 1940)
- St. Mary’s College (Catholic boys, 1899)
- St Ursula’s College (Catholic girls, 1931)
- The Glennie School (Anglican girls, 1908)
- Holy Name Catholic Primary School (1901)
- Clifford Gardens Shopping Centre (Big W, Woolworths, Coles Supermarkets, Best & Less, Australia Post)
- Clifford Park Racecourse, home to the Toowoomba Turf Club, established in 1862.