- 10 km (6 mi) SW of Toowoomba
- 116 km (72 mi) W of Brisbane
Westbrook is a town and locality in the Toowoomba Region. In the 2011 census, the town recorded a population of 3,287.
The name Westbrook comes from the name of the pastoral run used first by John Campbell, a pastoralist and merchant, in 1841. Bunker’s Hill State School opened on 1 January 1899 under head teacher, Walter Richmond. Westbrook Reformatory School for Boys opened on 5 May 1900, having been relocated from Lytton Hill on the orders of Colonel George Arthur French, Commandant of the newly-created Queensland Defence Force. On 30 October 1919, it was renamed Farm Home for Boys, Westbrook to have a “positive ‘moral effect’ on the boys”. On 26 May 1966 it was renamed Westbrook Training Centre. Around 1987, Westbrook it was renamed Westbrook Youth Detention Centre. It closed on 30 June 1994.
Westbrook Crossing State School opened on 9 February 1910, but changed its name to Westbrook State School in April 1910. It closed on 6 July 1969. On 25 April (Anzac Day) 1922, the Westbrook War Memorial was unveiled by Littleton Groom, the then Attorney-General for Australia and Member for the Darling Downs. The memorial commemorates the service of 47 local men in World War 1 and is located at Main Street in front of the Westbrook Hall. Recently the town has grown to become a satellite suburb of Toowoomba and is now one of the fastest growing areas of the city, and is home to many of its workers.
Westbrook has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- Coupers Road: Westbrook Homestead
- 114 Toowoomba Road: Westbrook War Memorial
Bunker’s Hill State School is a government primary (P-7) school located at 315 Bunkers Hill School Road. In 2012, it had 205 students enrolled with 17 teachers (12.6 full-time equivalent). There are no secondary schools in Westbrook, but there are a number available in Toowoomba.
Library services in Westbrook are provided by the Toowoomba Regional Council’s mobile library service. The van visits Main Street every Saturday.